Practice briefs and tools
Nonprofit leaders need more resources about the early stages of performance measurement programs and about how to overcome the practical challenges they will face as they build their programs. Complementing the community of practice, the Measure4Change team has published a series of practice briefs and blog posts that explain key concepts and address relevant topics in performance measurement.
The Measure4Change Performance Management Playbook is designed to help nonprofit organizations increase their performance measurement capacity with practical recommendations and strategies. Organizations can use this tool to build a learning culture, develop performance measurement tools, collect data, manage data, and communicate their findings.
A New Model for Growing Impact: Measure4Change and Nonprofit Performance Management
A description of the Measure4Change model— a mixture of deep-dive coaching, grant support, peer learning, and practice-oriented briefs — and reflection on lessons learned from the first cohort.
Strategies for Cultivating an Organizational Learning Culture
For nonprofit practitioners seeking to strategies to cultivate a learning culture within their organizations.
Starting Small and Thinking Long Term: Q&A with Performance Measurement and Evaluation Professionals
Three nonprofit performance measurement staff who have been navigating their positions within the Washington, DC, area for several years share lessons learned and tips for getting started and growing.
Navigating Performance Management Software Options
A selection guide for service-delivering nonprofits seeking a software solution.
Expanding Audience and Impact: Nonprofits Communicating Data to External Audiences
Examples and strategies to effectively communicate program data with external stakeholders such as policymakers, funders, and clients.
Performance Measurement to Evaluation
Introducing the performance measurement–evaluation continuum: from using performance measurement and formative evaluation to improve and refine programs, to summative evaluation to determine impact of selected programs.
Urban Wire blog posts
- Six Steps to Success: Collecting and Using Performance Data in Place-Based Initiatives
- Key Steps in Outcome Management
- From Compliance to Learning: Helping Community Development Financial Institutions Better Determine and Demonstrate Their Results
- Outcome Indicators Project
- Developing Community-wide Outcome Indicators for Specific Services
- DC Out-of-School-Time Programs Tackle Outcome Measures
- Measuring Performance: A Guidance Document for Promise Neighborhoods on Collecting Data and Reporting Results
Setting performance targets
- Surveying Clients about Outcomes
- Preparing and Fielding High-Quality Surveys: Practical Strategies for Successfully Implementing Neighborhood and School Climate Surveys in Promise Neighborhoods
Organizational culture, staff engagement, and continuous improvement
- A Resource Guide for Head Start Programs: Moving beyond a Culture of Compliance to a Culture of Continuous Improvement
- Pathways for Community Voices: Building Feedback Loops with Clients of Charitable Food Assistance
Communicating with external audiences
Data governance and security
Moving toward evaluation