Governors and other state leaders have now spent a full year responding to the unprecedented challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. Since early 2020, they have addressed multiple waves of infections and hospitalizations, massive job losses, decreased consumer spending, and resulting strains on state budgets. Now, governors and other state officials have begun crafting new budgets for a strong and equitable recovery.
Please join us for a conversation with Colorado Governor Jared Polis, followed by a panel discussion of fiscal conditions across the country. This event will focus on the lessons state budget officials have learned during the crisis and the new, innovative strategies they are using to stabilize their economies. Speakers from various states will share their on-the-ground experiences and explain what comes next for their states and the country.
- Jared Polis, Governor, Colorado
- Kim S. Rueben, State and Local Finance Initiative, Urban Institute
- John Hicks, Budget Director, Kentucky
- Kimberly Murnieks, Director, Office of Budget and Management, Ohio
- Richard C. Auxier, Senior Policy Associate, Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center (moderator)