On Friday, June 21, 2013, the Urban Institute convened a panel of experts for a candid discussion on Social Security Disability Insurance. The panel answered such questions as:
- What are the economic circumstances of Disability Insurance (DI) beneficiaries? What policies might improve these?
- What are the main challenges for the DI program?
- How should DI fit into Social Security reform discussions?
- How would DI beneficiaries be affected by alternate approaches to reducing Social Security’s long-range financing gap?
- How might the current political environment shape DI’s future?
Howard Gleckman, Resident Fellow, The Urban Institute
Kenneth Apfel, Professor of Practice at University of Maryland School of Public Policy and Former Commissioner of the Social Security Administration
Lisa Ekman, Director of Federal Policy, Health and Disability Advocates
Melissa Favreault, Senior Fellow, Urban Institute
Gina Livermore, Senior Researcher, Mathematica Policy Research
Melissa Favreault's Presentation
Lisa Ekman's Presentation
Gina Livermore's Presentation
, DC , 20002