Promise Neighborhoods is a federal place-based initiative striving to turn neighborhoods of concentrated poverty into neighborhoods of opportunity. The program’s vision is to ensure that all children growing up in Promise Neighborhoods have access to great schools and strong family and community support systems that will prepare them to attain an excellent education and successfully transition to college and a career.
This work is accomplished by building a continuum of cradle-to-career supports with great schools at the center. These schools, along with integrated service programs, form a local infrastructure of resources to sustain and scale up proven, effective solutions. The Promise Neighborhoods Initiative model has a strong commitment to results-based planning and improvement using real-time data.
Under a contract with the US Department of Education, the Urban Institute provides technical assistance on data collection to Promise Neighborhoods implementation grantees across the country. That technical assistance includes guidance on data collection strategies and data system structures to manage and produce measurable results, guidance on data security and confidentiality and data sharing practices, and site visits, webinars, and virtual peer-learning communities.
Urban assesses each grantee’s progress in collecting and linking quality data to report results and regularly presents that information to the Department of Education.
Guidance Documents and Briefs
- Measuring Performance: A Guidance Document for Promise Neighborhoods on Collecting Data and Reporting Results
- Promise Neighborhoods Frequently Asked Questions
- Promise Neighborhood Target Setting Guidance
- Promise Neighborhoods Restricted-Use Data Files: Technical Specification and Requirements
- Preparing and Fielding High-Quality Surveys: Practical Strategies for Successfully Implementing Neighborhood and School Climate Surveys in Promise Neighborhoods
- Continually Improving Promise Neighborhoods: The Role of Case Management Data
- Six Steps to Success: Collecting and Using Performance Data in Place-Based Initiatives
- Resources for Place-Based Initiatives
Features and Videos
- A New Day for Data: How Promise Neighborhoods are transforming lives
- How to use case management data, YouTube video