Please join the Urban Institute for the launch of the Prison Research and Innovation Initiative, a comprehensive effort to build evidence and spur innovation to make prisons more humane, safe, and rehabilitative environments. Hear from a roundtable of people who have experienced incarceration, researchers, corrections professionals, advocates, and other thought leaders to discuss existing research on prison practices, policies, and culture as well as gaps in data and knowledge.
Our goal is to identify the evidence needed to support transparency, accountability, and innovation in prisons and improve the lives of people who live and work in them.
Agenda and Links to Segment Recordings:
- 9:00 a.m. Welcome, Introductions and Framing
- 9:30 a.m. Research Area: Human Rights and Dignity in Prison
- 10:30 a.m. Research Area: Experiences of Specific Incarcerated Populations
- 11:30 a.m. Break
- 12:15 p.m. What we know about Community Based Participatory Research in prisons: Methods, Ethics, and Outcomes
- 1:30 p.m. Research Area: Correctional Staff Experiences
- 2:20 p.m. Break
- 2:30 p.m. Research Area: Maintaining Order and Safety in Prison
- 3:20 p.m. Final Reflections
- 4:00 p.m. Adjourn