The COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated threats to economic and housing stability for millions of people nationwide. This is especially true for Black, Indigenous, and Latinx communities, who already faced immense and disproportionate rates of housing cost burdens, housing instability, and homelessness because of decades of structural racism and discriminatory housing practices. With the federal eviction moratorium expiring at the end of June and major federal investments in rental assistance flowing to communities, this is a critical moment to deploy evidence-based strategies that advance racial equity and ensure housing stability for Black, Indigenous, and Latinx households.
Join the Urban Institute as we explore the current state of housing stability for Black, Indigenous, and Latinx households and the risks they face, based on research by the Renters and Rental Market Crisis Working Group and Housing Crisis Research Collaborative. We will also discuss the Biden administration’s proposals and investments to address rental housing and homelessness and ways state and local governments, the private sector, and philanthropy can leverage those investments to ensure housing stability for Black, Indigenous, and Latinx communities and remedy long-standing structural inequities in the rental housing market.
- Mary K. Cunningham, Vice President, Metropolitan Housing and Communities Policy, Urban Institute
- Arthur Jemison, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Community Planning and Development, US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Mel Martinez, Chairman, Southeast US and Latin America, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Rasheedah Phillips, Managing Attorney of Housing Policy, Community Legal Services
- Noel Andrés Poyo, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Community Economic Development, Office of Domestic Finance, US Department of the Treasury
- Anthony Simpkins, President and CEO, Neighborhood Housing Services of Chicago
- Sarah Rosen Wartell, President, Urban Institute
- Monique King-Viehland, Associate Vice President, Urban Institute (moderator)