Data pros, become better designers.
Designers, dive into data.
In this one-of-a-kind workshop, you will bring data to life using innovative visualization techniques; learn from world leaders in the data visualization field with expertise in data science and design, respectively; and explore styles, techniques, and best practices to create meaningful and beautiful visualizations.
As the amount and availability of data grows rapidly, being able to visualize and communicate data and data analysis has become increasingly important. Organizations tasked with producing, releasing, and analyzing large amounts of data can more effectively do so by understanding how to visualize their data. In this full-day workshop, you will learn the foundational science and design behind data visualization and strategies for effectively communicating your work.
This workshop will provide you with the core skills needed to conceptualize, plan, and develop data visualization products. Taught by world-renowned leaders in the field, Stefanie Posavec and Jonathan Schwabish, this full-day workshop will inspire you to push beyond your limits to create great, effective visualizations. Step away from your keyboard and enjoy some fresh space for your hands and mind: the entire workshop will be off screen, using nothing more than basic drawing materials and office supplies.
As you work in groups, the instructors will guide you through analyzing a dataset to designing and implementing your own custom visualization method. You will expand your graphic knowledge, learn best practices, and discover different and innovative ways to communicate your data and analysis. Posavec and Schwabish will offer insights into the design principles integral to creating a successful visualization, regardless of function, medium, or context.
No coding, design, or data skills needed; the only requirement is an interest in data visualization!
Who This Course Is For
This course is for anyone interested in data visualization and who wants to better understand the general design process, including
- people working with and analyzing data, including government analysts, scholars, and researchers interested in improving how they communicate their work;
- communication designers and other creatives looking to expand their communication design skills; and
- publishers and content creators wanting to explore visual approaches to communicating their company’s message.
What Attendees Will Learn
- the definition, importance, and function of data visualization
- rules of visual perception
- different kinds of data visualizations
- data visualization best practices and strategies
- thinking critically about visualization design
- designing a data visualization system
- the anatomy of a successful data visualization
All attendees will receive copies of the authors’ books, Dear Data and Better Presentations: A Guide for Scholars, Researchers, and Wonks. Attendees will also receive copies of the Desktop Graphic Continuum data visualization library and assorted handouts and reference materials.
We offer discounts to groups of five or more, employees of nonprofit organizations, and university faculty, staff, and students. Please email Jonathan Schwabish directly for more information.