DC Education Research Collaborative
Education research conducted in partnership with educators, practitioners, and education leaders is more likely to provide useful information to support decisions that improve student outcomes.
In 2018, the DC Council passed legislation to create an Education Research Practice Partnership (RPP) to provide actionable, independent research to support improvement in public schools, including both district and public charter schools.
The DC Education Research Collaborative (the Collaborative), a consortium of 15 organizations headed by the Urban Institute, was selected to lead the RPP in January 2021. In collaboration with education stakeholders and the public, the organizations that make up the Collaborative will conduct rigorous research designed and implemented in partnership with members of the DC education community. Urban will be the managing entity, providing leadership and oversight for the duration of the partnership.
Though we are in the early stages of creating and launching this partnership, we welcome your feedback, ideas, and questions. You can contact us at email@example.com.
The Collaborative’s mission is to provide everyone with a stake in the success of DC public and public charter school students with robust, accurate information to support decisions that improve outcomes and advance equity.
The Collaborative’s work will be grounded in the following values:
- Independence from government, funders, and outside interests
- Collaboration with policymakers, district and school leaders, teachers, families, and others working to improve public schools
- Quality in our research and research products
- Relevance to the needs and contexts of local stakeholders
- Transparency about our funding, methods, and findings
- Equity as both a goal of our research and an integral part of our interactions with stakeholders
- American University School of Education
- Bellwether Education Partners
- Brookings Institution
- D.C. Policy Center
- Georgetown University
- George Washington University
- Howard University School of Education
- Raise DC/Venture Philanthropy Partners
- Trinity Washington University
- University of the District of Columbia
- University of Maryland
- University of Virginia’s EdPolicyWorks
We are currently in the process of securing support for the start-up and launch of the Collaborative, and we welcome inquiries from potential funders who are willing to meet Urban’s funding principles.
We are committed to being transparent about funding sources, and will list supporters on this page and on the Collaborative’s eventual website. In the long run, we anticipate the Collaborative’s work will be supported by a diverse set of local and national funders. You can read more about our approach to funding on page 28 of our proposal.
Our next steps
We are in the process of hiring an executive director, building a data archive, and building a website to serve as the permanent online home for the Collaborative.
In the coming months, we plan to engage District stakeholders via online listening sessions and meetings. If you or your group would like to meet with Collaborative leadership, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will also begin supporting the Advisory Committee as it develops the Collaborative's research agenda, once appointments to the committee are made.
- Letter to Chairman Mendelson on improving DC's education data infrastructure
- OSSE RPP announcement
- OSSE’s RPP website
- Our proposal (PDF)
- Urban’s Center on Education Data and Policy
- Contact us
Last updated May 2021