The text below is an excerpt from the complete document. Read the full report in PDF format.
The Bipartisan Tax Fairness and Simplification Act of 2010 ("Wyden-Gregg," introduced as S. 3018) is a broad reform of the federal income tax system. Some provisions would also expand the Social Security payroll tax base. This paper presents the Tax Policy Center's estimates of the revenue and distributional effects of the income and payroll tax provisions in Wyden-Gregg.
Compared with a baseline that assumes all of the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts are extended and that the 2009 AMT exemption level is maintained and indexed, the Tax Policy Center estimates that Wyden-Gregg would
- Be roughly revenue-neutral over the next decade, with an increase in individual income and payroll tax revenues offsetting a decline in corporate tax revenues.
- Make the federal tax system more progressive, with after-tax incomes declining on average for the top 20 percent of tax units and increasing on average for the other 80 percent of tax units.
These estimates are all static, in that they do not incorporate potential behavioral responses to the tax changes. On balance, such responses would likely reduce revenues under the proposal.
(End of excerpt. The entire report is available in PDF format.)
Usage and reprints: Most publications may be downloaded free of charge from the web site and may be used and copies made for research, academic, policy or other non-commercial purposes. Proper attribution is required. Posting UI research papers on other websites is permitted subject to prior approval from the Urban Institute—contact email@example.com.
If you are unable to access or print the PDF document please contact us or call the Publications Office at (202) 261-5687.
Disclaimer: The nonpartisan Urban Institute publishes studies, reports, and books on timely topics worthy of public consideration. The views expressed are those of the authors and should not be attributed to the Urban Institute, its trustees, or its funders. Copyright of the written materials contained within the Urban Institute website is owned or controlled by the Urban Institute.