The Urban Institute will host our 25th annual Roundtable on the President’s Budget and the Economy. As in past years, the roundtable provided observations, insights, and discussion from a limited but very informed group of budget experts.
After welcoming remarks from Urban Institute President Sarah Rosen Wartell, the roundtable tackled an array of topics:
- How does the US economic outlook affect what budget choices are required?
- Does the president’s budget achieve sustainability? By what criterion?
- Will Congress consider any major spending or tax reforms this year?
- Do the new proposals for the EITC and wage subsidies include room for compromise?
- How has sequestration affected the budget—and what pressures will it continue to apply?
- Are budget games (e.g., moving costs outside the ten-year budget window) increasing?
- How long can defense, health and tax policies stay on their current path?
- How does current fiscal policy put additional pressure on the Federal Reserve?