The Center on Nonprofits and Philanthropy (CNP) conducts and disseminates research on the role and impact of nonprofit organizations and philanthropy.
To promote understanding of civil society and improve nonprofit sector performance through rigorous research, clear analysis and informed policy. Read more about the role of the center in this interview with the director Elizabeth T. Boris.
A full description of our projects is offered HERE.
Read the blog of Urban Institute Fellow,
Dr. Gene Steuerle,
The Government We Deserve.
Tools for Managing to Better Workforce Results: a Tour of PerformWell
May 22, 2014, 3:00 - 4:30 pm (EST)
Learn More and Register
Nonprofit-Government Contracts and Grants: Findings from the 2013 National Survey
by Sarah L. Pettijohn, Elizabeth T. Boris, Carol J. De Vita, Saunji Fyffe
Contracts and Grants between Nonprofits and Government
by Sarah L. Pettijohn, Elizabeth T. Boris
Maryland: A Working Model of Nonprofit and Government Collaboration
by Erwin de Leon, Sarah L. Pettijohn, Evan Nemoff
Montgomery County Nonprofit Contracts and Grants
by Erwin de Leon
An Assessment of the Strengthening Communities Fund Capacity-Building Program
by Carol J. De Vita, Elaine Morley, Erwin de Leon, Saunji Fyffe, Sarah L. Pettijohn
SCF and the Economic Recession
by Carol J. De Vita, Elaine Morley, Sarah L. Pettijohn
Collaborations and Partnerships: The SCF Experience
by Saunji Fyffe, Carol J. De Vita, Elaine Morley
More CNP Reports, Books and Recordings
National Center for Charitable Statistics
The National Center for Charitable Statistics (NCCS), a program of the Center on Nonprofits and Philanthropy at the Urban Institute, is the national clearinghouse of data on the nonprofit sector in the United States.
For the latest data on the nonprofit sector, see The Nonprofit Sector in Brief: Public Charities, Giving and Volunteering, 2013
For data and quick answers about the U.S. nonprofit sector, visit our Statistics and Profiles pages.
- The Nonprofit Almanac 2012, Now Available. Read the press release.
- The Nonprofit Sector in Brief: Public Charities, Giving and Volunteering, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- Washington-Area Nonprofit Operating Reserves
- The Nonprofit Almanac, 2008
- The Broader Movement: Nonprofit Environmental and Conservation Organzations, 1989-2005
Read five Questions for Thomas H. Pollak on local nonprofits' financial health.
File Forms 990 and State Registration Forms Electronically
Developed by NCCS, 990 Online© is a web-based application that allows nonprofit organizations and nonprofit accountants to electronically prepare and submit IRS Forms 990, 990-EZ and 8868 (Extension Request). Organizations can electronically file their tax returns for fiscal years ending 2005 to 2008. The service is free for small organizations. State Registration Forms are currently available for Pennsylvania, Michigan and Hawaii. New York and Mississippi are slated to join our offerings soon. Read more.
Form 990-N (ePostcard)
Small tax-exempt organizations whose annual gross receipts are normally $50,000 or less may be required to electronically submit Form 990-N, also known as the e-Postcard. Organizations can file this form using our IRS-approved web product. Click here to get started.
NCCS Publications on Smaller Public Charities
Audio and Video Recordings
- The $137 Billion Connection: Nonprofit-Government Contracts and Grants - December 5, 2013 (video)
- Charity and Government: Tax Reform and Beyond - April 15, 2013 (audio)
- The Charitable Deduction: A View from the Other Side of the Cliff - February 28, 2013 (video)
- December Dilemma: Why Give? How Important Is Individual Giving? - December 4, 2012 (video)
- State and Local Budget Pressures: The Charitable Property-Tax Exemption and PILOTs -
May 21, 2012 (audio)
- Are There Too Many Nonprofits - April 3, 2012 (video)
- The NCCS Community Platform - February 9, 2012 (webinar)
- The Future of the Nonprofit Sector and Philanthropy - December 7, 2011 (video)
- Doing More with Less: Leveraging Community Capital - November 2, 2011 (video)
- Nonprofit Outlook: Where's the Light at the End of the Tunnel? - October 4, 2011 (video)
- The $100 Billion Connection: Government Contracts and Human Service Nonprofits - October 7, 2010 (audio)
- Life Spans of Charitable Foundations: Arguments for and Against an Assumption of Perpetuity – March 26, 2009 (audio)
- The Election and the Economy: What's Ahead for Civil Society? – November 4, 2008 (audio)
- Rebuilding a Devastated Arts and Culture Community: How Can New Orleans Recover? – February 6, 2007 (audio)