Benefits of Working at Urban
At the Urban Institute, we believe talent and outstanding effort should be rewarded by meaningful opportunities to apply skills and training, opportunities to learn and grow, and competitive salaries and benefits that meet employees’ needs during the various stages of their lives.
Besides a collegial, casual work environment that supports an excellent work-life balance, employees enjoy these benefits:
- competitive market-based salaries at all levels
- generous paid time off and holiday leave
- comprehensive and affordable medical insurance, including health, dental, and vision coverage
- generous employer contributions to a retirement program with immediate vesting, best-in-class funds across the full range of asset classes, and onsite retirement education and counseling sessions
- paid parental leave and domestic partnership coverage
- excellent prepaid tuition assistance that has afforded numerous staff the ability to complete graduate degree programs
- generous short- and long-term disability coverage
- pretax commuting expense reimbursements and telework options
- access to a free onsite gym
- bicycle parking
Our employees also have opportunities to come together for fun, learning, and healthy activities and competition. They include policy presentations and panel discussions with in-house and external experts, employee receptions, summer and winter theme parties, the Annual Cherry Blossom Walk, yoga, and a host of other events sponsored by our own recreation committee. We compete among ourselves and with our sister institutions through DC’s Think Tank Softball League, Ultimate Frisbee, and Urban’s Chess Club—GO OUTLIERS!